Syria attack: Images show Assad chemical weapons facilities DEVASTATED | World | News

0
20


Before and after pictures show how two buildings in Homes and the Barzah Research Centre near Damascus were left smoking ruins following the allied attack.

Even 10 hours after the missiles hit, smoke was still rising from the remains of five destroyed buildings of the Barzah centre, where a Syrian employee said medical components were developed.

Theresa May, Donald Trump and Emmanuel Macron hailed the launch of 105 missiles against the regime as a “success” with the US President announcing “mission accomplished” hours after the barrage.

The strikes hit the heart of Syria’s chemical weapons regime, destroying key targets in Syria.

Syria’s main ally Russia has warned of grave “consequences” following the attack, branding it an “act of aggression”.

But Mr Trump has warned he is ready to attack again if Assad continues to use chemical weapons against his own people.

His ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, announced yesterday the US was “locked and loaded” should the need arise.

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said this morning ”finally the world has said enough is enough” as he defended the “proportionate” action.

He told BBC One’s The Andrew Marr Show: “There is no proposal on the table at the moment for further attacks because so far – thank heavens – the Assad regime has not been so foolish to launch another chemical weapons attack.”

He added: “If and when such a thing were to happen then clearly, with allies, we would study what the options were.”

US Lieutenant General Kenneth McKenzie said at the Pentagon: “We believe that by hitting Barzah we’ve attacked the heart of the Syrian chemicals weapon programme.”

However, he acknowledged elements of the program remain and he could not guarantee that Syria would be unable to conduct a chemical attack in the future.

The Western countries said the strikes were aimed at preventing more Syrian chemical weapons attacks after a suspected poison gas attack in Douma on April 7 killed up to 75 people. They blame Assad’s government for the attack.

In Washington, a senior administration official said on Saturday that “while the available information is much greater on the chlorine use, we do have significant information that also points to sarin use” in the attack.

Today, Assad remained defiant following a meeting with Russian politicians over the crisis.

The despot was said to be in a “good mood” despite the strikes and praised the Soviet-era air defence systems his country has tried to claim shot down some of the missiles.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here