Friday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
MAN UNITED: Manchester United are not planning a major overhaul of their first-team squad this summer, with the club working on bringing in four new players ahead of next season, sources have told ESPN FC.
– United gave their entire city a “lift” by beating Ajax 2-0 in the Europa League final on Wednesday, according to former manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
– United’s Antonio Valencia has signed a contract extension committing him to Old Trafford until June 2019, the Premier League club have announced.
– Eight United players were named in the Europa League squad of the season, selected by UEFA’s technical observers.
MAN CITY: Monaco playmaker Bernardo Silva is set to become Manchester City’s first signing of the summer, sources have told ESPN FC.
– City are growing increasingly confident of signing Tottenham defender Kyle Walker this summer, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.
– City announced on Thursday that a string of players will leave the club this summer, with Bacary Sagna, Gael Clichy, Jesus Navas, and Willy Caballero all moving on.
ENGLAND: England manager Gareth Southgate ended the possibility of a club versus country row over Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford by saying it was “inconceivable” to leave him out of the senior setup.
ARSENAL: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says his “main ambition” is still to play as a central midfielder, even though the Arsenal player is enjoying his recent success as a wing-back.
– Aaron Ramsey says Arsenal’s plan to stop Eden Hazard in the FA Cup final is to “be right in his face.”
CHELSEA: David Luiz says he took a pay cut to return to Chelsea, but the defender believes his decision has been vindicated as the Blues chase a Premier League and FA Cup double on Saturday.
LIVERPOOL: Steven Gerrard says Liverpool would have won more trophies during his playing days had Jurgen Klopp been the manager.
REAL MADRID: Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo’s scheduled appearance in London this weekend has been postponed after the UK terror threat level was upgraded in the wake of the Manchester terrorist attack.
– Spanish prosecutors are considering whether Ronaldo should face charges over allegations by the country’s tax agency that he defrauded the authorities of €15 million between 2011 and 2014.
BARCELONA: Jasper Cillessen can win his first trophy since joining Barcelona this weekend but he has told ESPN FC that even a victory in the Copa del Rey against Alaves will not disguise the fact the season has ultimately been a failure.
ARGENTINA: Sevilla have reached a preliminary agreement with the Argentina Football Association (AFA) to release Jorge Sampaoli from his contract, the Spanish club announced on Friday.
MLS: Talks to bring Bayer Leverkusen and Mexico international forward Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez to Major League Soccer expansion side Los Angeles FC have cooled due in large part to salary demands, multiple league sources have told ESPN FC.
CRYSTAL PALACE: Wilfried Zaha has signed a new five-year deal with Crystal Palace, the club have announced.
WEST HAM: West Ham United have signed Pablo Zabaleta on a two-year deal following the defender’s release from Manchester City, the London club have announced.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.