AGF took over Goje case, EFCC didn’t withdraw – Prosecutor – Punch Newspapers

0
3


Ade Adesomoju, Abuja

The lawyer prosecuting former Gombe State Governor, Senator Danjuma Goje, until Friday, Mr. Wahab Shittu, said on Saturday that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission did not withdraw from the case as reported in some sections of the medium.

When contacted by our correspondent on Saturday, Shittu said, rather, it was the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation in the exercise of its powers under the Constitution that took over the N25bn fraud case.

He said the EFCC had no authority to challenge the exercise of such powers of the office of the AGF.

He said, “It was simply a constitutional prerogative of the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation in the exercise of its powers under section 174 of the Constitution.

“EFCC has no authority to challenge the exercise of such powers.

“So it was the AGF that took over the case, it was not the EFCC that withdrew.”

The AGF office had on Friday taken over the case of alleged N25bn fraud filed against  Goje from the EFCC.

The EFCC had been prosecuting the former governor for eight years until Friday.

The handover of the case to the AGF by the EFCC took place at an emergency hearing before Justice Babatunde Quadri at the Federal High Court in Jos on Friday.

DOWNLOAD THE PUNCH NEWS APP NOW ON




Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here