Beverley’s hugely popular annual 10k run will have an earlier start for the first time in its 26-year history in a bid to cut congestion.
The road race on Sunday, May 12, will start 75 minutes earlier than usual, at 10am.
Rolling road closures and parking restrictions will be in force in parts of the town on Sunday morning.
Motorists are warned to expect delays between 9.45am to 11.30am in and around Beverley, particularly in the following areas: Beverley Minster, Keldgate, Wednesday Market, Admiral Walker Road, Lairgate, Beverley Westwood and Walkington traffic lights.
Motorists are encouraged to use routes around the northern and eastern side of the town, such as Grange Way, Swinemoor Lane, and Minster Way.
Andy Tait, president of organisers Beverley Athletic Club, says: “The earlier start time is to try and help with congestion.
“Beverley gets a lot busier towards lunchtime so we have brought the start forward to 10am, whereas it used to be 11.15am.”
Some 1,800 runners will be running in the Pittaway Beverley 10k road race, with 200 also taking part in the 9am fun run at Beverley Leisure Centre’s sports field.
Mr Tait says: “The 10k attracts runners of all abilities and ages, up to 80 years.
“It’s a scenic and challenging course, big crowds come out for it and there’s always a great atmosphere.
“More than half of the 10k runners will be non-club runners. Many have got into running through Park Run and look to progress with the 10k.”
Mr Tait says the club would like to thank motorists for their patience during the road closures which ensures the safety of athletes and drivers.
10km race timetable
Runners will assemble prior at Beverley Leisure Complex prior to the start.
They are asked not to proceed to the race start until requested, as traffic must be stopped to accommodate the large number of runners.
9.45am Runners assemble on Eastgate next to Beverley Minster.
10am Race starts
11.20am approx. Last runner finishes in Wednesday Market
12.30pm 10km prizes will be presented at Beverley Leisure Complex.
Beverley 10k route
2km Fun Run
Start and finish on the sports field at Beverley Leisure Centre. Start time: 9am.
6am – 1pm No parking in Wednesday Market and Eastgate with restrictions in Saturday Market
9.45am – 10.05am Flemingate / Eastgate – between Armstrong Way and Railway Street
9.45am – 11.35am Lords Roberts Road/Wednesday Market, between Eastgate and Highgate
Find the latest travel updates in your area
Rolling road closures – while runners pass
9.45am – 11.20am
• Lord Roberts Road
• Champney Road – between Lord Roberts Road and Lairgate
• Lairgate – from the junction with Champney Road to North Bar Within
• North Bar Within
• York Road A1174– between the junctions with North Bar Without and Newbald Road
• Newbald Road
• Coppleflat Lane / Mill Lane, Walkington with Walkington Heads / Newbald Road to the traffic lights at Walkington
• Broadgates B1230 Walkington Road / Westwood Road – from Walkington traffic lights to the junction with Albert Terrace
• Albert Terrace – around the staggered junction with Westwood Road and Newbegin
• Old Waste into Saturday Market
The Race HQ will be at Beverley Leisure Centre, Flemingate, but there will be no parking for runners at the leisure centre, which requires the car park for its users.
People are advised to arrive early and park in any of the following town car parks:
· Flemingate Shopping Centre (opposite the entrance to Beverley Leisure Centre): £1 for three hours. £2 for three to four hours.
Council-run car parks are free on Sundays.
If you love Beverley, you’ll want to join our Brilliant Beverley Facebook group.
It has the latest Beverley news and information plus stunning pictures and videos.
You can also share your news and photos in there too.
Click here to join the group.
· School Lane car park, HU17 9BA (behind the fire station)
· Spencer Street car park, HU17 9EG (off Walkergate)
· Butcher Row car park, HU17 9EE (opposite fire station)
· East Riding Theatre, HU17 9BE (behind the theatre)
· Princes Gardens car park, HU17 9BA (behind The Treasure House)
· George Street car park, HU17 0AU (near the train station and Moulders Arms)
Follow Hull Live
Our daily newsletter – To get the latest headlines direct to your email inbox every day, click here.
Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or get the Android version from Google Play.
Follow Hull Live on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like!
Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow Hull Live on Twitter.
Follow us on Instagram – On the Hull Live Instagram page we share gorgeous pictures of our stunning city – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow Hull Live on Instagram.