Collins will leave the club after two spells spanning more than a decade
Former West Ham United striker John Hartson has criticised the club’s board members for their decision to release James Collins via email.
It was revealed by talkSPORT sources on Saturday morning the 34-year-old had been told by the Premier League side his services were no longer needed.
After making over 200 appearances for the club across two spells spanning over a decade, the decision to let the Welsh defender go in such a manner has not gone down well within the footballing world.
And Hartson, who played alongside Collins for Wales, is disappointed in his former club for the way they have handled the situation.
He said: “If it is true that they’ve sent him an email that is in poor taste because Ginge, as the West Ham fans will tell you, every time he put on that shirt he give his all [sic].
“He put his head in, he put his body on the line for over 10 years and I just think you’ve got to treat our long-serving players better than that.
“It’s not nice for James to finish that way and you’ve got to feel for him really.”
Originally signed from Cardiff City in 2005, Collins re-joined the Hammers in 2012 from Aston Villa after they achieved promotion back to the Premier League.
While it remains to be seen who the new manager will be, it seems as though Collins will not be at the London Stadium.