Hundreds of snaps taken of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s ceremony last May have been posted on sites such as Instagram and Twitter.
The pictures were taken by photographer Alexi Lubomirski, who was commissioned by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to document their special day.
But the Polish aristocrat was the victim of a hack, as hundreds of private photos started appearing on social media over the last few days.
The black-and-white snaps with the tag “preview” popped up on Instagram, Twitter and elsewhere, leading Buckingham Palace to launch a security probe immediately to shut down the leak.
Hackers are believed to have struck last September, but the photos only began emerging this month.
Alexi, 43, was alerted that his Royal Wedding images had been stolen.
Speaking about the hack, a royal source admitted: “There was an online compromise.
“Pictures were hacked then leaked,” they told The Sun.
“There was an internal investigation but police weren’t involved.”
“Pictures were hacked then leaked”
It isn’t known who was behind the hack on Alexi, who has previously snapped celebs including Beyonce and actresses Demi Moore, Gwyneth Paltrow and Natalie Portman.
Only three official wedding snaps were released, including formal family portraits of the couple, Meghan’s mum Doria, Kate, William, the Queen, and Prince Philip inside Windsor Castle.
Some of the hacked photos included Harry, 34, hugging Meghan, 37, with his eyes closed as she is seen beaming at the camera.
Royal sources said the leak had now been contained.
Alexi has not yet made a public statement about the hack.
It comes ahead of Meghan’s appearance at today’s Trooping the Colour to mark the Queen’s official birthday.
The day will be her first royal event since giving birth to the couple’s son Archie on May 6.
Prince George, 5, and Princess Charlotte, 4, are expected to be at today’s Trooping the Colour.
Baby Louis, one, may also make his first appearance on the balcony at Buckingham Palace.