Attorneys for Neymar on Wednesday disputed allegations that they had asked for a meeting to discuss a settlement with representatives of a woman who later accused the Paris Saint-Germain star of raping her.
The player’s legal team issued a statement saying it was the woman’s attorneys who sought the May 29 meeting, in which no agreement was reached. The woman’s lawyers had said the request came from Neymar’s lawyers.
Her legal team at the time said her first complaint had been of “aggression” or “physical violence.” She filed the rape complaint against Neymar on Friday in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The woman later changed lawyers. She and Neymar have yet to testify to police.
Neymar said he had two encounters with the woman in France, but denies any wrongdoing.
“The initiative for the meeting to take place always came from the [woman’s] lawyer,” Neymar’s legal team said. It said attorney Jose Edgard Cunha Bueno was the woman’s representative at the time and attended the meeting.
Neymar’s legal team said it reported the approach to police.