School delays and closures:
Due to province-wide weather warnings of freezing rain and expected hazardous road and travel conditions today, the following closures and delays are in place:
- All schools in the Public Schools Branch family of schools are closed for the day.
- The French Language School Board schools are closed for the day.
- UPEI is delaying opening until noon with a further announcement at 10 a.m.
- Holland College campuses are delaying opening noon with a further announcement at 11 a.m.
- Collège de l’Île campuses are delaying opening with a further announcement at 11 a.m.
- Parent Teacher Conferences at Grace Christian School that were scheduled for today are cancelled. A further announcement will be sent to parents later today regarding rescheduling.
Ice pellets are expected to begin early this morning across P.E.I., changing to freezing rain this morning then changing to periods of rain near noon, with fog patches also developing near noon. About five millimetres of rainfall is expected with wind gusting up to 60 km/h. Today’s high is 5 C.
Periods of rain are expected to end near midnight then become partly cloudy with a 30 per cent chance of flurries. Fog patches will dissipate this evening. The total rainfall amount is two millimetres and winds are expected to gust up to 60 km/h. Tonight’s low will be -10 C, but with the wind chill it will feel like -22 C overnight.
FREEZING RAIN WARNING: Freezing rain is expected or occurring across the province today.
Freezing rain is forecast to begin early this morning over P.E.I. after a brief period of light snow or ice pellets, and then continue until late morning. Most areas are likely to see several hours of light freezing rain before temperatures rise and precipitation changes to rain for the remainder of the day.
Road conditions may become icy again overnight tonight as the rain ends and is followed by cold westerly winds and scattered flurries.
Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.
Freezing rain warnings are issued when rain falling in sub-zero temperatures creates ice build-up and icy surfaces.
For updates, visit Weather.gc.ca.
RELATED: The SaltWire Network weather page
Weather services today indicate wind conditions on Saturday, Feb. 9 may result in restrictions of traffic on the Confederation Bridge beginning at 1 a.m. until noon on Feb. 10.
For updates, visit Confederationbridge.com.
- Air Canada flight 8512 scheduled to depart at 5:15 a.m. heading to Montreal has been cancelled.
- Air Canada flight 7517 scheduled to depart at 6 a.m. heading to Toronto has been cancelled.
For updates, visit Flypei.com.