Pentecost, also called Whitsunday, is celebrated on the seventh Sunday after Easter. The Christian holy day commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ. It is celebrated on the Sunday 50 days after Easter (the name comes from the Greek pentekoste, “fiftieth”). Observances include prayers, vigils, fasting, novenas, retreats, Holy communion and litany.
Pentecost wishes, greetings and messages
- God bless you at Pentecost.
- Blessed Pentecost. May the gift of God’s Spirit fill your hearts, homes and your family this Pentecost.
- Happy Pentecost to you and your family.
- I wish that you are showered with the choicest blessings of Jesus Christ and blessed with a wonderful feast time with the people you love.
READ MORE: Ancient Egypt SHOCK: Archeologists discover OLDEST Christian church
- God of power,
- may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
- may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
- may the gifts of your Spirit
- be our goal and our strength,
- now and always. Amen.
(As printed in the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship)
Come, O Holy Spirit by John Henry Newman
- Come, O Holy Spirit.
- Come as Holy Fire and burn in us,
- come as Holy Wind and cleanse us within,
- come as Holy Light and lead us in the darkness,
- come as Holy Truth and dispel our ignorance,
- come as Holy Power and enable our weakness,
- come as Holy Life and dwell in us.
- Convict us, convert us, consecrate us,
- until we are set free from the service of ourselves,
- to be your servants to the world. Amen.