The American military presence in Saudi Arabia has increased significantly following an attack on the Abqaiq and Khurais oil facilities. It comes just days after Trump announced 1,000 American soldiers were being withdrawn from Syria, making way for a Turkish invasion.
In a statement, chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman commented: “Defence Secretary Eric Esper informed Saudi Crown Prince and Minister of Defense Muhammad bin Salman this morning of the additional troop deployment to assure and enhance the defence of Saudi Arabia.
“Taken together with other deployments, this constitutes an additional 3,000 forces that have been extended or authorised within the last month.”
There have been serious concerns about the security of Saudi Arabia since two of its oil processing facilities were attacked by drones on September 14.
The attack, which both the US and Saudi authorities blame on Iran, briefly cut Saudi oil production by half.
Mr Esper added: “We thought it was important to continue to deploy forces to deter and defend and to send the message to the Iranians: Do not strike another sovereign state, do not threaten American interests, American forces, or we will respond.
“I’ve said time and time again, do not mistake our restraint for weakness, if you will, you will regret that.”
Britain, France and Germany also released a joint statement saying Iran was responsible for the attack.
However, Houthi militants, Shia allies of Iran based in Yemen, said they were behind the explosions.
READ MORE: Iran oil tanker hit by double missile strike in Red Sea
“Going into the middle east is the worst decision ever made.”
Two days later, on October 11, the Pentagon announced a significant boost to the US presence in Saudi Arabia.
Additional forces will include two fighter squadrons and two patriot missile batteries designed to shoot down incoming missiles.
Before becoming President Trump hit out at the amount of military support the US provides Saudi Arabia.
On August 31 2014 he tweeted: “Saudi Arabia should fight their own wars, which they won’t, or pay us an absolute fortune to protect them.”
Trump’s decision to withdraw US forces from northern Syria, ahead of a Turkish invasion, has sparked fierce controversy.
The Kurdish YPG played a key role in containing and then pushing back against the ISIS terror group.
However, Turkey is fiercely hostile to the group as a result of its links to the PKK separatist armed group.
Speaking about Saudi Arabia on September 17 Trump commented: “They’ve been a great ally.
“They spend $400 (£316) billion in our country over the last number of years.
“Saudi Arabia pays cash. They’ve helped us out from the standpoint of jobs and all the other things.”