World War 3: Expert warns Trump’s Iran nuclear deal decision could spark ‘FULL-SCALE WAR’ | World | News

0
6


Donald Trump announced his decision to walk away from the Iran nuclear deal on Tuesday evening, sparking fears the move could enflame tensions in the Middle East and lead to World War 3.

Rita Parsi, the president of the National Iranian American Council told BBC News: “Donald Trump is taking a triumph of diplomacy and choosing to turn it into a crisis, a crisis that very well could lead to a military confrontation.

“This is very much driven by his desire to undo everything that Barack Obama achieved, regardless of the implications for US national security, and in this case, of course, the security of the region as a whole.

“Because this will spell disaster. Even if it doesn’t lead to full-scale war, it will definitely make the situation in the Middle East much, much more tense.

“This is the initiation of a crisis that very well can lead to war. If we are in a situation six months from now, nine months from now, twelve months from now where there actually is a military confrontation, we should remember that confrontation was started today by Donald Trump.”

Mr Trump has long criticised the 2015 deal secured by his predecessor Barack Obama.

The accord, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, committed Iran to reducing its stockpile of enriched uranium for 15 years. In return, the UN, US and EU agreed to lift the economic sanctions which had crippled the country’s economy.

But President Trump, who has called Iran “the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism”, dismissed the deal as a “disaster”.

In his speech announcing America’s withdrawal from the agreement, he called it “a horrible, one-sided deal that should never, ever have been made.”

Mr Trump added: “It didn’t bring peace, and it never will.”

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave a dramatic televised speech in which he presented documents that Israeli security forces claim are proof that Iran “lied” about its nuclear ambitions after signing the deal.

American withdrawal from the deal comes despite the attempts of the UK, France and the EU to appease the President and keep the US in the agreement.

Donald Tusk, the EU President, quickly took to Twitter to promise a “united European response” to the issue.

Donald Tusk, the EU President, took to Twitter to promise a “united European response” to the issue.

Following the decision, Israel reported the “irregular activity of Iranian forces in Syria”.

In a written statement, the Israel Defence Forces said: “Defence systems have been deployed and IDF troops are on high alert for an attack.

“The IDF is prepared for various scenarios and warns that any aggression against Israel will be met with a severe response.”



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here